Angelica, the oldest town in Allegany county, was formed from Leicester, Livingston County, on Feb. 25, 1805. Alfred and Caneadea were taken off in 1808. Allen and Scio were taken off in 1823. A part of Amity was taken off in 1830 and a part of West Almond in 1833. In 1816, part was annexed to Alfred. Angelica lies a little north of the center of the county.
The first settlement was made at Angelica Village in 1802 by Philip Church. Evert Van Wickle, John Gibson settled in the town in 1802 and John Ayers in 1803. The first child born was Catharine S. Mullender. The first marriage was Sylvanus Russel and Esther Van Wickle in 1805. The first death was Ira Stephens on Sept. 20, 1803. Widow S. Smith taught the first school in 1804-05. Philip Church built the first saw and girst mill in 1802-03 and kept the first store in 1803. Joseph Taylor kept the first inn in 1804. The first church (Presbyterian) was formed by Rev. Robert Hubbard in 1811.
Angelica Collection of Obituaries and Vital Records
Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Angelica
Angelica Village, incorporated May 2, 1835, located in center of the town, and in the center of the county; county seat until 1859; half-shire with Belmont 1859-1892
PO Box 338
148 W. Main
Angelica, NY 14709
Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1
Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents