Centerville, (formerly spelled Centreville) was formed from Pike, Wyoming county on Jan. 15, 1819. It is the northwest corner town of the county.
The first settlements were made by Joseph Maxson, of Rhode Island, in April 1808 and by James Ward in the fall of the same year. Calvin P. Perry, from Berkshire co., Mass. settled near Mr. Maxson in 1809. Abraham and David Jolatt, brothers, were the next settlers. Then came Zaccheus, Thomas and Strong Warner, Perkins B. Woodward, from Ashford, Conn., and settled a little north of the center. Sargent Morrell, from Vermont, settled in 1810. Benjamin Blanchard, from Vermont, settled on lot 25 in 1811. &nsp;The first birth and the first death in town were those of a child, Calvin P. Perry, in June 1809. The first marriage was William Foy and Ruth Morrill in 1811. Perkins B. Woodward taught the first school in the winter of 1813-14. Benjamin and Mark Blanchard and Eber Hotchkiss erected the first sawmill on Six Mile Creek in 1813, Russell Higgins and Packard Bruce the first gristmill in 1817 on the same stream. Mr. Thatcher kept the first inn, at the center, in 1810. Sparrow Smith kept the first store, at the same place in 1820. The first religious meeting (Baptist) was held by Rev. John Griffith. The first church (Presbyterian) was formed in July 1824, by Rev. Silas Hubbard. [French's Gazetteer of the State of New York, 1860]
Centerville - hamlet near the town center
Higgins - hamlet southeast of Centerville
Fairview - hamlet on the southwest town line
Welsh Settlement - former designation of the southwest part of town, settled in the 1840's by natives of Wales
9480 Dow Road
Freedom, NY 14065
RD 1, Box 3083
9787 clover Rd.
Farmersville Station, NY 14060
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1