This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.
Rushford was formed from Caneadea on March
8, 1816. New Hudson was taken off in 1825.
It lies on the west border of the county, north of the center.
The first settlement was made by Enos GARY of Vermont in 1808.
Charles Swift, Abel Belknap, Amos Rose and Joshua Wilson from
New England were settlers in the town in 1809-10. Levi Benjamin,
from Windsor, Vermont, and settled near Rushford Village in 1813.
Bethiah Belnap was born in the spring of 1810 and Samuel Gordon
June 12, 1810, were the first births in the town. Plina
Bannister taught the first school near the center in the winter of
1813-14. Levi Benjamin kept the first inn, a little north
of Rushford Village in 1813 and James McCall the first store in
1814. The first sawmill was built by Matthew P. Cady, on
Caneadea Creek, in 1815. The first girstmill was built by
James McCall on the same stream in 1818. The first religious
meeting was held by Rev. Mr. Sanford (Baptists) in 1813. The
first church (Baptist) was formed in 1815 by Reverend Nathan Peck,
a missionary from Boston. [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]
Rushford Town Website
Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - Rushford
Cities, Villages and Hamlets
Rushford - hamlet wast of Rushford Lake
East Rushford - former community now covered by Rushford Lake
Balcom Beach - hamlet on north side of Rushford Lake
Fairview - hamlet in the northwest corner of the town
Hardy Corners - hamlet in southwest corner of the town
Hillcrest hamlet on south side of Rushford Lake
Kellogsville - former community now covered by Rushford Lake
Podunk - formerly known as Podonque
|Town HistorianLuAnne Bump|
PO Box 38
Rushford, NY 14777
Rita M. Hunt
PO Box 38
8999 Main Street
Rushford, NY 14777
Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
- First Burying Ground - code #23-2; Brooks Ave., Rushford, NY 14777; also known as the Old Burying Ground, Old Rushford Cemetery, and Old Town Cemetery
- White Cemetery - code #23-1; (Town 5, Range 2HC, lot 28), N.Y. Rte. 243
- Hardys Corner Cemetery - code #23-3; (lot 58), County Road 7B
- Rushford Cemetery - code #23-4; Llewellen Street, Rushford, NY 147777; also known as Town Cemetery and New Rushford Cemetery; located on Llewellen Street
- Old Cemetery Near Podonque or McCall Cemetery - code #23-5; (lot 20), County Road
- Podonque Cemetery - code #23-6; (lot 22), Podunque Road
- Cemetery - code #23-7; (lot 1), Rush Creek Road; plowed over
*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1
- Rushford and Rushford People by Helen Josephine White Gilbert, pub. 1910
- The Rushford Centennial, Aug 16-21, 1908, Univeristy Microfilms, International, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- First Presbyterian Church Minutes, Vols 1-3, 1838-1889, Presbyterian Historical Society, also available through FHCs
- Church Records, 1820-1971, Western New York Methodist Conference Archives Center, Williamsville, Erie co., NY; also available at FHCs
- Baptist Church, Rushford, Allegany County, N.Y., Early Settlers of New York State, Their Ancestors and Descendants by Janet Wethy Foley, Vol. VI, No. 6, December 1939, p.471
People of Rushford Roots
Rushford in the News
Return to Allegany Towns Page
Allegany County, New York Table of Contents
Last updated on July 19, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.