On March 4, 1830, Deacon Jesse Rowley made his home in the dense forest then occupying the site of Wellsville village, when only a few families were scattered from Stannard's Corners to Amity. The deacon, a godly man, sought religious associations and held meetings. A council held at his residence May 16, 1834, organized a church with these members:
This body was weak in numbers and in funds and affiliated with the Amity church, and was in the course of years merged with the Scio organization. No other organization of this faith existed here until 1885, when the church named above was formed, September 9th, with these members:
Three of the constituent members, Hosea B. Marion, Mrs. Eli Rowley and Mrs. Minerva E. Smith, have died. The additions since organization have been 44; the dismission by letter have been, 10; the exclusions, 2; the deaths, 6; present membership (34 resident, 11 non-resident) 45.
J. W. Coller, M. D., has been church clerk from the beginning.
Services are held at 11 a.m. in the Disciples' church on Mill street east of the railroad. Sabbath school immediately follows the morning service. Mrs. E. E. Crandall is superintendent.
Source: John S. Minard, Allegany County and its People. A Centennial Memorial History of Allegany County, New York, W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N.Y., 1896, p. 354
Church Records of Allegany County
Allegany County, New York Table of Contents