This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Belfast, originally called Orrinsburgh was formed from Caneadea on March 24, 1824.   The name was changed to Belfast on April 21, 1825.  In 1831 part of Caneadea was annexed.  Belfast lies a little northwest of the center of the county.

The first settlement was made on Genesee River in 1803, by Benjamin, Elisha, Calvin and David Chamberlin, brothers from Pennsylvania.  Jedediah Nobles, from Elmira, settled on the river.  Benjamin Littleton, from Elmira, settled on Wigwam Creek in 1805.  The first child born was Moses V. Chamberlin.  The first marriage was John Sanford and Mary Collar in 1806.  Elijah Reynolds taught the first school in 1807.  Joseph S. Raymond kept the first inn, near the village in 1821.  Samuel King kept the first store in 1824.  David Sanford erected the first saw mill and grist mill on the river, near the village in 1809.  Rev. Ephraim Sanford (Baptist) held the first religious meeting at the house of Nathaniel Reynolds in 1806 and formed the first church in 1807-08.  [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860]

Hamilton Childs' 1875 Gazetteer - Belfast.

History of the Town of Belfast from Beer's History of Allegany County.

History of the Belfast Fire Department

Tornado in Belfast - 1838

Cities, Villages and Hamlets

Belfast hamlet located on west bank of Genesee River near the north boundary of the town; Genesee Valley Canal completed to Belfast

Rockville - hamlet in western part of town by the Black Creek

Transit Bridge - fomer location in the town

Marshall - location in the northwest corner of the town

Town Historian

Dominic Curcio
70 W. Hughes St.
Belfast, NY 14711
Telephone: 585-365-8828
Town Clerk

Margo Jennings
PO Box 472
Belfast, NY, 14611
Phone: 585-365-2623



Note: All cemeteries, except #23-7 have been recorded by the Rushford Town Clerk.
  • Riverside Cemetery - code #8-1; (lot 3), Belfast Village
  • Chamberlain Cemetery - code #8-2; (lot 18), County Road 26
  • Purple Cemetery - code #8-3; (lot 54), Rte 17
  • Gleason Hill Cemetery - code #8-4; (lot 6), Gleason Hill
  • Brainard Cemetery - code #8-5; (lot 47), County Road 41 & Rte 17
  • Cemetery - code #8-6; plowed over, was located on lot 48 on Brainard Hll Road & Rte. 17
  • St. Mary's Cemetery - code #8-7; (lot 3), Belfast Village
  • Rockville Cemetery - code #8-8; (lot 58), Havens Lake Road
  • Old Rockville Cemtery - code #8-9

*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and LDS Family History Library microfilm. See Western New York Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. II, No. 1

Libraries, Societies & Museums

Pictures of Belfast

Belfst High School Class circa 1917 or 1919

Edward Norton Rutherford (b. 1895) is fourth from the right in the back row. If anyone can identify others in this class contact Nana

Postcards and class picture were submitted by Nana Redell.

Return to Allegany Towns Page

Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents

Last updated on July 20, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.