This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.

History of Belfast Fire Department

Source:  Allegany County and Its People. A Centennial Memorial History of Allegany County, New York., by John S. Minard, 1896, p. 686

The Belfast Fire Department was incorporated Feb. 22, 1887, with the following trustees:

The first officers were:

Under the act of 1895, these fire commissioners were elected:

The department has a Rumsey hand engine, 1,000 feet of hose, a good engine-house with rooms overhead for meetings.  Six cisterns located in different parts of the village are depended upon to furnish the water supply.  The equipment for fighting fire is good, the protection afforded is such as to materially reduce the rates of insurance.

The officers are:

History of Fires in Belfast

June 1871 - The Belfast House then a wooden structure was burned and the same day the old Lyman hotel building farther north was also burned.

January 2, 18877 - The Willis and Saunders block, a row of wood structures opposite the present brick blocks, was burned. In this were the stores of A. R. Hopper, Saunders Bros. and B. T. Willis & Bros., offices, stores, and the Belfast bank, was injured.

February 1893 - Neely's gristmill was burned. Another fire destroyed the block on the east side of Main St., for some years the store of A. J. Lewis.

Back to Belfast

Allegany County, New York GenWeb

Last updated on July 20, 2006
© copyright 1999, Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.