The society was formed as a branch of the Friendship Baptist church by Elder T. Fuller, Nov. 21, 1838. The names of the first members are:
March 1, 1843, a separation was effected from the Friendship church, and Holden E. Prosser was chosen pastor. He remained four years. The present pastor is Elder W. R. Prentice who has occupied this pulpit since 1893. The building is pleasantly located on the east side of the village main street. It is a wooden structure, built during 1853 after the usual mode of architecture used in country churches at that period. It will seat about 300 persons, is heated with has and valued at about $3,000. Opposite the church is the parsonage, a neat country-house, which was purchased in 1876 for $1,350. The membership of this church is 45. The Sabbath school was organized during 1860. It has present 45 members and 5 teachers. The superintendent is Miss Cora Whiteman, assistant superintendent, Mrs. Newcomb; treasurer and secretary, Miss Flora Windsor.
Source: John S. Minard, _Allegany County and its People. A Centennial Memorial History of Allegany County, New York_, W. A. Fergusson & Co., Alfred, N.Y., 1896, p. 933