This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.

Friendship Chronicle Obituaries and Death Notices, 1880-1881

transcribed by Vivian Karen Bush

Vol. 1, No. 9, Wednesday, April 7, 1880

The Work of an Instant.
  Another fatal example has been added to the long list of casualties resulting from careless handling of fire arms.  Walter H. Ostrander who has been traveling in various businesses in past years, but who has been occupied on the farm of his father David Ostrander for some time, was out in the sugar bush about half a mile in the rear of the homestead and east of the road, yesterday a.m.  He was accompanied by a boy named Fred Devenger and carried a double barreled shot gun.  He placed the gun against a pile of bolts.  The boy asked him whether they should get some sap.  Walter replied that they would cut some wood first.  The boy turned away but in a few moments he heard the report of fire arms and seeing Walter lying extended on the ground with his gun across him he ran to the house and gave the alarm.

Charles Sanders living on an adjoining farm and other neighbors ran to the spot.  Ostrander was quite dead, and his brains had oozed out on the ground through a fearful wound under the right ear.  Doctor A. E. Willard was quickly summoned and the lifeless body was removed to the house.  Doctor Willard after a brief examination pronounced it a case of accident.  The hole beneath the ear was over an inch in diameter and the wound extended obliquely clear up into the cerebrum.  Death must have been absolutely instantaneous.  From marks found on the wood pile the generally accepted theory is that in hastily gasping the weapon and drawing it up to him the hammers struck against a wood bolt and the moment the gun was freed from the obstruction a hammer fell and exploded the charge.  The gun was very heavily charged, at least it is presumed so from the fact that when the other barrel which remained loaded after the accident was fired off the weapon kicked heavily.  The deceased was 27 years of age, married but had no children.  His sister Miss Belle Ostrander is teaching in the Idiot Asylum at Newark, N.Y., was at once telegraphed for.

The unfortunate Young man had been accustomed to the use of fire arms from his early youth up and it is not improbably that his familiarity with such weapons led him to neglect even ordinary precautions.  The funeral will take place to-morrow.

In connection with the interesting subject we find the following in the last issue of the Olean Democrat: Last Sunday, March 28, was the one hundredth anniversary of the Indian Massacre of Geo. Van Campen Sr.'s grandfather Cornelius Van Campen, in Northumberland Co. (now Columbia Co.) Pennsylvania.  The story connected with this cold-blooded murder is one of the most exciting events of revolutionary history.  At the time of the massacre, Cornelius Van Campen's son, a young man named Moses Van Campen, was taken prisoner by the ten murderous red-men who committed the terrible deed.  He subsequently made his escape one night by killing nine of his captors.  Moses Van Campen afterwards removed to Allegany county, where he resided for sixteen years.  He died at Angelica in 1849, at the advanced age of 93, and his remains were buried in the cemetery in that village.

Vol. 1, No. 10, Wednesday, April 14, 1880

Mrs. Hope McGibeny, aged 67, died at West Almond, 1st Inst.

Patrick Harrington, aged 95, died at South Hill Andover April 4th.

Vol. 1, No. 11, Wednesday, April 21, 1880

Frank Hitchcock of Belvidere was killed last Friday during the storm by a falling oil derrick in Garlow Hollow.

Mrs. Nelson Reynolds also died Tuesday, April 13, services at the Disciple Church Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.  [Scio]

Died, in this village on Tuesday, April 13th, Mrs. Erastus Mapes, services at the Disciple Church, Wednesday at 1. p.m.

Lawrence Bond the two year old son of E. M. Bond was taken sick very suddenly last week, and died after an illness of but two days.  Rev. C. J. Cooke, formerly Rector Christ Church here, but now located at Warsaw read the burial service.

Vol. 1, No. 13, Wednesday, May 5, 1880

The Relentless Congueror.  The inexorable scythe of King Death has been wielded with terrible severity, among those whose friends and loved ones are in this community during the past few days.
   On Saturday last Harry Fritts of Richburg, one of the earlier pioneers of this section was cut off in his seventy-third year.  A paralytic stroke seized him a few weeks since from which he never rallied.  His funeral took place on Sunday.
   On the afternoon of the same day Adelbert Anson, a young man living in this village, and having several relatives here passed away.  His death resulted from an accident which befel him several months since, a log falling upon him.  The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. F. M. Alvord assisted by Rev. M. Barker. The remains were placed in the old cemetery.
   On Monday morning a dispatch was received from Salisbury, Herkimer Co., announcing the death of Mr. Truman Ives, father of Mrs. W. W. RiceMr. Ives was one of the earliest settlers in that section and had nearly attained his ninetieth year.
   On Monday morning Mr. Looman Cleveland, living a little south of the village breathed hsi last having attained his seventy-third year last September.  He was born at Bennington, Vermont and in his earlier manhood farmed in this section.  He resided for a time at Borodino, Onondaga Co., but permanently located here about twenty-five years ago.  He was the last of his parent's family.  His wife, a most estimable lady, died on July 22nd last year at the age of seventy.  The loss had a visible effect on Mr. Cleveland who mourned her very deeply.  He suffered considerably from congestion of the lungs and other pulmonary affections but finally succumbed to heart disease.  Although he had long followed the occupation of farming.  Mr. Cleveland was duly licensed as a local preacher in the M. E. Church.  He officiated occasionally with great effect.  It is somewhat singular coincidence that he died on the anniversary of his wedding day the fifty-first we believe.  He was the father of Mrs. Theron Cross of Friendship of Mrs. J. L. Cutler of Bolivar, of L. J. Cleveland of Scio and of Mrs. Rush Williams of Scio.  The funeral took place to at the Cooley School House in the town of Wirt, the services being conducted by Rev. C. G. Stevens.

Mr. Harry Fritts, an old resident of Bolivar, was buried at Richburgh last Sunday.

Vol. 1, No. 14, Wednesday, May 12, 1880

Gone to her Home.  On Sunday morning Mrs. Keziah Wellman King of this town died somewhat suddenly.  Her funeral took place on Monday afternoon, the services being conducted by Rev. M. Barker assisted by Revs. C. G. Stevens and W. B. Gillette, the latter a very old friend of the deceased lady.  Mr. Barker made a most impressive address taking his text from John. Chap. 14, 1 and 2 v.  “In my father's house are many mansions.”  The remains were placed in the old Baptist burial ground beside those of Mrs. King's first husband, Jonas Wellman, to whom she was married about the year 1826 and who died in 1844.  She was married again in 1855 to Col. Samuel King who died in 1859.  Mrs. Wellman-King was born in Oneida county in 1806, but had resided here for a long period.  She had seven children, all of whom survive her but the youngest daughter, Mrs. Laura M. Barber, who died in Iowa City on the day of President Lincoln's assassination.  The survivors are Col. A. J. Wellman, of this place, Jonas G. Wellman of Cincinnati, Dr. W. J. Wellman of New York, W. W. Wellman now of Salamanca.  Mrs. Wentworth of this place and Mrs. Le Seur of Pennsylvania all of whom were present at the funeral.

The deceased lady, who became an earnest professing Christian in early life, was a zealous member of the Baptist Church and an active worker in the cause of Gospel truth.  She was much esteemed and possessed many most amiable traits of character.  In years past she had suffered from various physical affections, but during the past winter had been enjoying unusually good hearlth.  An attack of apoplixy took her off quite rapidly and unexpectedly.

Mrs. Olive Weston aged 83 died at Centerville on Monday last week.

Vol 1, No. 25, July 28, 1880
James S. Thomas aged 70 died at Almond on the 18th inst.

Vol 1, No. 41, November 17, 1880

Louis Gordon, twenty one years of age, died in Wellsville last Thursday.  His disease was the scourge– diptheria.

Joseph H. Mathewson recently died at Saginaw, Mich., aged 56.  He once lived in Almond and was well known to the people of this county.
Mrs. Emma Rixford died at her home at Stannard's Corners this morning, after a very short illness.  She was a wife of only a few weeks, her maiden name being Peacock, and was only about eighteen years old.  Monday night in usual health, she was in attendance at the Republican jubilee and a participant in the dance.  The young husband and her bereaved friends are entitled to earnest sympathy over the sudden affliction.  The funeral will be observed to-morrow.  – Reporter of the 12th inst.

On Monday, the 8th inst., the remains of Mrs. T. H. Johnson arrived here from Ohio.  They were placed in the vault at the cemetery until Wednesday, when they were interred.   The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church and at the grave.  Mrs. Johnson was about fifty years of age, and was sent from this place to an Insane asylum in Ohio for only a few weeks since.

Vol. 1, No. 42, Wednesday, November 24, 1880

Mrs. Wesley Fritz, of Canaseraga, died Nov. 15th, aged 53.

W. J. Currier, formerly editor of the "New Democratic Era" at Cuba, died in NewYork last Thursday.  His funeral was attended at the Universalist church in Cuba last Saturday.  He was thirty eight years of age.

While Lester Beardslee and George Ackerman Sr., were chopping in the woods near Hume on Tuesday of last week, the latter was struck, on the head by a falling tree and fatally injured.  He lived ten hours after the accident.  He was forty-three years of age, unmarried, the only support of his mother aged 90.

Vol. 1, No. 43, Wednesday, December 1, 1880

Michael Ready, a native of Ireland, aged 66, died in Scio, Nov. 8th.

Erastus T. Cadwell, a former resident of Centerville, died in California lately, at the age of 80.

Vol. 1, No. 44, Wednesday, December 8, 1880

On November 2[ ]th, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Applebee of Scio, had the severe misfortune to lose their infant son who died, aged 2 years, 9 months and 3 days.

Peter Dike, an only child died recently, aged one year three months and twelve days.

Vol. 1, No. 46, Wednesday, December 22, 1880

Death of Mr. C. S. Clark.  Mr. Charles S. Clark died at Scio yesterday morning and was buried this Wednesday afternoon.  Mr. Clark has for a long time been identified with the interest of Allegany and has led a prosperous and active business life.  He had attained the alotted time of three score years and ten.  Mr. Clark was always a consistent Democrat and has been named the father of Allegany County Democracy.  His son Mr. “Jud ”Clark the well known merchant and horseman of Scio inherits his property which is of considerable value.

C. M. Rork of Black Creek died last Wednesday.

Miss Haggerdorn of Black Creek died of consumption last Wednesday.

Last week the absorbing item of conversation was the fearful fire which destroyed six buildings opposite the Buffalo depot and Merritt's warehouse.  The most lamentable part of the catastrophe was the burning of the wife and two little daughters of George Osborne.  The night of Tuesday and the early morning of Wednesday Dec. 14 and 15 will be long remembered as black letter periods in the history of Olean.

Vol. 1, No. 47, Wednesday, December 29, 1880

Mr. S. F. Robinson of Andover died recently at the age of 74.

Miller, who was so severely injured at the recent Olean fire, is dead.

Wm. Moran, who is drilling the Middaugh, well lost a child recently by diphtheria.

E. H. Chapin
the great Universalist preacher is dead.  He was Horace Greeley's pastor.

Suicide at Andover.   Franklin Langworthy residing about three miles from the village of Andover committed suicide on Christmas day.  He was sixty years of age and a respected citizen and neighbor.  He had been for sometime in poor health and his actions had been anxiously noticed by his family.  He did the deed with a rifle, placing the muzzle to his forehead and discharged the piece with a stick.  His wife and a number of children survive the demented man.

Deaths.  Smith – In Granger, Sunday, December 19th, 1880, Mrs. Hiram Smith, aged 64 years of paralysis.

Fulmer – In Fulmer Valley, Allegany county, December 15, Mrs. Zeruviah Fulmer, wife of William Fulmer, aged 73 years.

Vol. 1, No. 49, Wednesday, January 12, 1881

Dr. Nathan P. Cook, formerly of Almond, took an over-dose of morphine at Ransonville, Niagara county, while recovering from a spree Friday and died.  He was thirty-five years old and of dissipated habits.  - Hornell Times.

Next Sunday morning the Rev. Mr. Alvord will preach a memorial sermon of Dr. E. H. Chapin, in the Universalist church.

T. Dewit Talmage Jr. is dead

Mrs. Anna Lundy of Olean died of diphtheria last week.  She was apparently well half an hour before death.

Luther Stowell, well knowd (sic) as a rich and prominent citizen of Olean died last Sunday.

Vol. 1, No. 50, Wednesday, January 19, 1881

A child of Orrin Sisson died of diphtheria suddenly last week.  Mr. Sisson was summoned home from the west but did not return in time to attend the funeral.

Died.  Hubbard.  In Wellsville, Jan. 12th, of paralysis, Mrs. Sarah B. Hubbard, relict of Deacon Samuel L. Hubbard, aged 84 years.

At Duke Center, Lorenzo Gathawait was killed in an explosion of nitro-glycerine Saturday.  He was formerly from this county.

Vol. 1, No. 51, Wednesday, January 26, 1881

Maroni Leroy of Houghton Creek fell under a log which we was drawing to mill Jan. 15th, and was fatally crushed.  He lived three hours after the accident.  He was fifty years old and leaves a wife and child.

Wm. Riley, residing at Middaugh hill died on the 17th inst., two children from diphtheria.  One was about two and the other over three years over.  While he was in this village after a coffin for the first, word came to him that the second had also died.  – Reporter.

A boy named Wallace Cook, aged 12 years, fell from a scaffold in the barn of Wm. Norman, Black Creek, a distance of ten feet, Saturday evening, striking on his head and fracturing his skull.  He died early yesterday morning of his injuries.  – News, 24th inst.

The wife of Joseph Brown of Wirt died Monday evening of lung difficulty.

The wife of David Baxter, oldest brother of J. L. Baxter of this place, died in Scio, Tuesday morning.  She will be brought to this place for burial.  The funeral will be held at the Baptist church to-morrow (Thursday), Rev. M. Barker preaching the sermon, at 2 p.m.

TRAIN 12 WRECKED.   Summary of the Terrible Facts.  Train 12, early Sunday morning, was wrecked at Tioga station, a few miles east of Waverly.  The axle of one of the drive wheels snapped off close to the wheel.  The engine jumped the track, the air brakes were set and the express, postal and baggage cars following were crowded off the other side of the track.  Every car of the train was jerked from the track.  The flames burst out in an incredibly brief period.  In the mail car were Joseph Reidinger of Elmira, George Ingraham of Binghamton, Daniel Seybolt, of Mount Hope, and H. B. Fox of New York, who were supposed to have been killed before their bodies were burned.  Henry F. Brewer of Elmira, was in the express car.  A hole was cut through the end door, allowing him to put his head through, but before they could further extricate him the flames crept around him, enveloping his back, burned off his hair, and then his whiskers, when at last placing his hand over his mouth, with an agonizing look, he sank back into the cruel flames, and was seen no more.  There were six cars in all destroyed, including one postal, one express, two baggage and two day coaches.  Not one of the passengers was injured beyond a few insignificant cuts and bruises sustained by several persons.  The engineer and fireman, both remained at their posts and escaped uninjured.  As soon as the accident was reported, a locomotive was sent to the scene, and coupling to the rear sleeping car, pulled the remaining seven cars to a distance of safety from the burning ones, notwithstanding they were off the track.  About $16,000 worth of bullion was taken from the ashes of the express.

Allegany County Obituaries

Allegany County GenWeb Page

Last updated on October 12, 2001

Created on ... June 30, 2001

© Vivian Karen Bush 2006
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.