This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.


Neva Gross
New Hudson Town Historian

There was originally a fine tract of pine timber lying along the north border of the Town of New Hudson, which was bought up by John McGraw of Dryden, who in the early fifties, build a saw mill near the north line of the town and for some years did an extensive lumber business at the point, shipping the lumber at Caneadea on the canal. A considerable village sprung up about the mill and was called McGrawville. After manufacturing the best of the timber, the tract was sold to Albright and Kelly of New Jersey, and a store was kept in connection with the lumber business by John Thompson.

After the lumbering was finished, the tract was sold to William Simpson of New York City, who cleared up the land and devoted it to stockraising. For many years the farm was famous for the fine Jersey bred there, which were sold and shipped to all parts of the United States. The farm was owned and managed by William Simpson Jr. For many years the farm was almost entirely used for raising and training horses. At one time, there was as many as 175 horses and colts, all from trotting breeds at the farm.

The farm itself consisted of 1300 acres and was amply furnished with convenient barns. It had for exercise a half-mile circular track, while for winter there was a covered track, one-fourth mile painted and 24 feet wide, shingled, sided up, nicely painted and well lighted on both sides.

Mr. Simpson also owned the building and about 11,000 acres of the adjoining lands, McGrawville contained a store, cheese factory, blacksmith shop, and ten or twelve dwellings. The dwellings were mostly tenement houses occupied by Mr. Simpsonís workmen. There was also a boarding house at this settlement. There were about 29 men employed in the care of the farm.

When John McGraw and his partner E. Southworth were at the business of lumbering, the lumber was hauled to Caneadea to ship by canal to different markets. It had to be hauled over Sand Hill till 1852, when a plank road was built to Caneadea through the Gorge, over which a team could draw a great load. McGraw was anxious to have a plank road built so that he could get his lumber to the canal cheaper. He worked up a feeling among the people that it would be a paying investment, so a stock company was formed to build a road from McGrawville to Caneadea and from Kelloggville to Rushford. The road paid the lumberman, but did not pay the stockholders.

McGrawvill had a post office. John McGraw was the first postmaster.

Today the settlement at McGrawville is no longer there. The post office was discontinued with the advert of R.F.D. about 1900. McGrawville is no longer a place. It is not listed on the map. There are only a few barns still standing on the Simpson farm. Most of the land was taken over by the State for conservation purposes.

Some of the men who worked on the Simpson farm were Fred Robertson, John Oílara, Thomas Currans, Thomas McIntosh, Len Lullae, George Caner, Wells Dunlap, Henry Cole, Darwin Casewell

Postmaster of McGrawville

Date appointed
John McGrawJuly 14, 1849
Isaac N. PhelpsSeptember 15, 1851
Joseph KellyJune 11, 1853
Newell IvesJune 19, 1858
William Simpson Jr.May 10, 1862
Nathaniel D. BellDecember 28, 1868
Charles H. IvesOctober 21, 1878
Joseph McMurryMarch 7, 1881
H. IvesJune 5, 1882
Thomas A. StrahanSeptember 8, 1885
William M. LaneMay 10, 1889
Eugene H. IvesOctober 21, 1899

New Hudson

Allegany County, New York Table of Contents

McGrawville History

Allegany County, New York Table of Contents

Last updated on October 28, 1999
© 1998 by Neva Gross, all rights reserved; used by permission
© copyright 1999, by Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.