This Page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb site.

New Hudson

New Hudson was formed from Rushford on April 10, 1825, and was originally named Haight.   The name was changed on April 4, 1837.  New Hudson lies on the west border of the county, a little north of the center.

One of the first settlers was Spencer Lyon of Waterbury, Vermont in 1820.  James Eastwood, John C. McKeen, and James Davidson, from N.H. settled in the south part of 1821.  The first birth was that of Mary McKeen in June 1821.  The first marriage was Earl Gould and Catharine Eastwood in June 1822.  The first school was taught by Mrs. Graham McKeen in the summer of 1821.   William Andrews kept the first inn, near Black Creek Corners, in 1826.  Nelson McCall kept the first store, near the same place in 1830.  The first sawmill was erected by James Davidson on Black Creek in 1829.  [Source: J.H.French, Gazetteer of State of New York, 1860, p.168]

Read the Early Settlement and History of the Town of New Hudson by Neva Gross, former town historian.

Hamilton Child's 1875 Gazetteer - New Hudson

Cities, Villages and Hamlets



Bellville (originally North Valley)

Black Creek


Lyons Corners

The Center

Mt. Monroe

Town Historian
Town Clerk

Diana Young
6359 Rt 305
Box 27
Black Creek, NY 14715
Telephone: 585-968-2179


  • Presbyterian - organized June 4, 1822
  • Black Creek Methodist Episcopal Church - records 1855-1918 at the Cuba United Methodist Church, also available through FHCs


*code #s refer to the Allegany County Cemetery Index card file at the Allegany County Historical Society and FHL/FHC microfilm. See WNYGS Journal, Vol. II, No. 1


New Hudson in the News

Return to Allegany Towns Page
Allegany County, New York GenWeb Table of Contents

Last updated on July 16, 2006
© copyright 1999, by Vivian Karen Bush
This page is part of the Allegany County, New York GenWeb Site and is not affiliated with any other society or organization.