The Wellsville Village was incorporated on March 20, 1858. The first village officials were elected on February, 23rd:
|1858||I. N. Stoddard|
|1859||W. H. Coates|
|1862, 1863||Wm. Bartlett|
|1864, 1865, 1866||L. D. Davis|
|1867, 1868||D. L. Vaughan|
|1869, 1870||Dr. H. H. Nye|
|1872||E. J. Farnum|
|1873||Hiram A. Coats|
|1875, 1876, 1877||A. A. Howard|
|1878||W. B. Coats|
|1880||S. F. Hanks|
|1881||O. P. Taylor|
|1882||Henry L. Jones|
|1883, 1884||D. C. Ackerman|
|1886, 1887||A. S. Brown|
|1888, 1889||D. C. Ackerman|
|1890||A. J. Applebee|
|1891, 1892||W. C. Kendall|
|1893||A. S. Brown|
|1894, 1895||Grant Duke|
The Union Free School District was formed Nov. 16, 1859.
|Board of Education - 1895||Teachers - 1895||Past Principals|
Mrs. Addie Elwell has had the longest servie in the school, having taught there 25 years.
Mrs. Harriet Hills came here in 1841 with her father. She says:
A man named Gibbs lived where Gardiner Wells had resided. James Fosbury's was across the road. The father of Henry Gordon lived where Dr. Macken's house now is, next the Ackley House. Sam'l Shingler's tavern stood on the same side near State street. The dwelling of Dan'l Tuttle was opposite the hotel. Norman Perry had a store on the corner of State and Main. The store of Thos. Conklin and Hezekiah Lee stood about where McEwen's office now is. Speaking of Conklin, it was he, who with Johnson in 1840 built the first mill where the Duke sawmill now stands. Trees had been felled on the land between State and Mill, along Main street, but the lots had a sorry appearance. The VanBuren tavern, Henry Gordon's store and Myron Fuller's house were on the corners of Mill and Main. The Taylor house was not far from Fuller's on the same side. Dr. G. B. Jones lived in a frame house opposite the Thornton Block. W. H. Coat's dwelling was just opposite the present site of the 1st Nat'l Bank. Jonathan Seeley lived near the present Johnson (Genesee St.) cemetery. There were three painted houses; VanBuren's and Shingler's taverns had white fronts, and Taylor's house had the front and one side painted white. W. D. Spicer lived quite a distance up State St. David June had a dwelling where Opp's residence is. Lewis Foster lived where I. N. Fassett's house stands. There was a bridge across the river on State St., built by Silas Hills and others in 1833, and was carried off by a flood in 1842. The river had previously been crossed by rafts and boats. For many years, Joe Crowner, Justus Brimmer, Billey Weed and Mr. Dunham were the only residents south of Genesee. About a mile down the river there was a bridge near the Hull and Morse gang sawmill. Our Main street then was a rough county road and the settlement was of little account.
In 1845 Mr. G. B. Gordon came with his father Groves Gordon. He says:
At the time E. A. Smith had a store near where Scoville, Brown & Co.'s is now. Stumps and trees, heaps of rubbish and refuse on partly cleared land lay between state and Mill streets. Across Mill from VanBuren's stood the Gordon store. This remains today about as when erected one of the few relics of early Wellsville. The Taylor, afterwards the England House, erected in 1835, stood east of the gas company's office. Enlarged and remodeled it is now the oldest structure in town. It is now in the rear of the gas company's office. For years it was the only tenement house and all newcomers between 1840 and 1870 lived in it. A. E. Bronson's wagon shop was near it. The Bronson residence was near the site of the first National Bank. There was no Madison street. The frame schoolhouse of '42 was near the site of the Academy.
The dance in 1849, at McClane's tavern, situated on Main directly across State street from the present McEwen site, was an affair typical of the lumber country. Rustic swains with their sweethearts walked or rode in from the surrounding country. Sam and Ed. Wilkins, the best fiddlers in all Allegany, played their way into the hearts of the dancers. Sam's quaint calling of the French Four and the Monie Musk was an entertainment in itself. At 4 o'clock in the afternoon the dance began, and some of those present never missed a step till 10:30 the next forenoon. An elaborate spread, a regular dinner, was served at midnight, after which those of the ladies who were in style made a new toilet with a change of gown and came on the floor sweeter and prettier than ever. Mr. and Mrs. Henry Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Clark, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Burchell, Mr. Ephraim Proctor and Miss Mary Ann Jones, now Mrs. Tallman, were at the party.